Sunday, November 16, 2008

Skirt Completed!

Thank Goodness! The 'Talking Tree Skirt' is Done!

It was really annoying to have to listen to that thing nagging at me all the time! And since I wrote that last blog my DS has totally disowned me! He says it was just too weird to read about his mother talking to a piece of fabric - a piece of fabric with attitude at that!

This tree skirt was pieced entirely by hand. That means I started it many, many years ago, when I was still afraid of my sewing machine. Each year after I started it I would take it out just before Christmas and look at it. Sometimes I resolved to finish it, but most of the time I just gave up on the dauntless task of hand sewing all those pieces. There were only three pieces left to finish this year! Can you imagine? It only took a few hours to have a finished tree skirt! I think I gave up the last time I worked on it because it looks as if I had put those last three pieces in backwards or something and after I took them out, my enthusiasm for this quilt must have left me. That's when it ended up in the bottom of my UFO bin! But it is finished now.


Thank goodness it had a voice, or I may never have completed it! And even Oscar, my most demanding and descriminating quilt inspector, gives it his thumbs, I mean paws, up!

Right Oscar?
Yeah, man! I love this thing!
I didn't have any Christmas fabric that was big enough for the back of this skirt, (it's about 50 inches square) so I pieced a giant nine-patch. Then I machine quilted the whole thing. I think it turned out okay. Times have changed. I'm not afraid of my sewing machine any more. Hurray!
Oh, boy! I can hardly wait until Christmas so that I can put a tree on top of it. Not a real tree, of course! That would be cruel! Just a little artificial one from Canadian Tire. That will do us just fine.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with Oscar - it's beautiful. The diamond blocks look 3D. Great job.

the dutch purple rabbit said...

i love oscar.

nynke

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I am really trying to get things done, but blog reading keeps "pulling me back in" LOL Jane

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

the tree skirt turned out beautifully.

To enable your email, go to EDIT PROFILE and in there put a check mark in the box where it says show my email.

Winny said...

Love the quilts. It was a good thing the quilt talked to you. Now you have something very beautiful and it is completed in time for Xmas.

the dutch purple rabbit said...

hi

you're dutch ain't so bad as you think. yes boordjes en kantjes are laces. knoop is button. so you figger it out you're self. spook say's also hi and onyx gifs you a litle hug.

nynke

LizzieJane said...

Hi Hetty, your tree skirt is so lovely, my goodness that was a lot of work, but oh so worth it. It looks even lovelier with that beautiful kitty sitting on it!
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Lovely lovely tree skirt.

Oiyi said...

That is beautiful. It's going to look wonderful underneath the tree.

Opal said...

that's a lovely tree skirt! you do beautiful work!