Saturday, January 17, 2009

Friday's Block Party Week 3

Thanks to everyone who left a comment on my last post. It seems to be unanimous. I am early! Yippee! I hate being late.
The block for this week on the Friday Block Party is called "Rotunda". I really like this pattern. It was easy and it used up strips of fabric that were only 1 1/2 in. wide. I dug into my kid's scrap bag and pulled out a few coordinating fabrics. The block is only 9 in. finished, (9 1/2 in. unfinished) so I didn't need much fabric. I think I will use fun fabrics on all the 9-inch blocks (I am assuming there will be more) and maybe use them to make a baby quilt. I didn't follow the instructions on the quilter's cache site, but rather did mine in strips and then assembled them like a log cabin block. As I was doing that, I thought about a log cabin quilt that I had started several years ago, but never finished.
I decided to dig it out. The blocks are 6 in. (6 1/2in. unfinished) square. I have a huge stack of them! You can see what it is supposed to look like in the photo in front of the blocks.
If I do 9 blocks across and 11 blocks down, I will need 99 blocks. And I already have 90 of them! I'm sure I can do 9 more! By gosh! I think this will be my next finished project.

15 comments:

Barb said...

Just ten more blocks....just ten more blocks...you can do it!!! It will be adorable too!!! I am rooting for you.

Donna said...

that's not many blocks before you get to do a layout! you go girl!!

the dutch purple rabbit said...

the end is the toughest part but you can finish it. don't make a ufo from it.

nynke

dutchcomfort said...

Such a sweet block!

Nine more blocks to make... Go Girl, Go! You can do it! Make it Work!

Anonymous said...

As you can see we're out here cheering you on. AND on top of that, a lot of us are log cabin fans, so now you have to give us the eye candy we're craving!

Maggi said...

Just think how quickly those extra blocks will get done and finishing it will be a breeze - go for it.

annemariesquilt said...

Lovely block, great to have a new block to make every friday!!!
Your other blocks looks great too..

*karendianne. said...

Ha, Hetty that's just great! How fun to finish that log cabin up with just a few more blocks to go. That's fun.

I really like your Rotunda block. The childrens fabric really works!

Winny said...

It will look so gorgeous when it is finished. I know you can do the last easily.

LizzieJane said...

What a lovely block, my goodness what a lovely quilter you are, you will be finished in no time.
x

Opal said...

i just love the cat fabric you used! too cute!

Nanette Merrill said...

Well how fun. It is always wonderful to finish something cute.

em's scrapbag said...

Oh please do it. That is going to be an amazing quilt.

Beertje Zonn said...

What a lovely block!
Kind regards,

Sonnja & Bear Zonn

NEEDLEWINGS said...

You do beautiful quilts! I especially love that cute little snowman block. Too cute!