Thursday, May 07, 2009

Salad, Anyone?

I defied the weatherman and planted some leaf lettuce a few weeks ago. It was still cold, but I couldn't wait! Lettuce likes cool temperatures anyway. I planted them in an old wash tub that stands on long legs. I know that sounds rather strange, but there is a method to my madness. I have huge garden snails in my garden! If I planted the lettuce on the ground, it would have been devoured by those slimy critters in no time! This way they can't climb up the metal legs of the tub. My lettuce is safe - from the snails, that is - but not from me. I'm sure I can pull a couple of leaves from each plant and make a nice, tasty salad! Yummmmm!


6 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Wow!!! That looks so good, and in two weeks!!

Pat said...

It looks BEAUTIFUL......I'm envious!!! Enjoy it, Hetty!

Barb said...

How clever!!! The lettice looks yummy.

Reddirt Woman said...

I'm ready for lunch...

How wonderful and the colors all together are wonderful... You think about your gardening like a quilt, I think...

Thank you for sharing. I'm going to go have a salad snack now.

Helen

*karendianne. said...

Pretty new banner and boy does that lettuce look wondermous!

LizzieJane said...

Wonderful looking lettuce, I have the same problem with snails and slugs and I grow my lettuce in containers too. Have a wonderful weekend.
x