Saturday, June 20, 2009

Psychedelic Butterflies

Do you remember that crazy fabric I had in a 'Quilts From the Heart' kit back in March? It was kind of scary! I decided to make some nine-patches and machine appliqued butterflies with it. I had the quilt all sandwiched and basted a few weeks ago, because I wanted it to be done before our last Guild meeting for this year. But that was not to be. Today I had a lot of sewing time and I was able to finish it. Yippeeeee! Another finish for June! Gosh it feels so good! It's a bit bright. So go and get your sunglasses before you look at it!




Here is a close-up of one of the butterflies. I used an old piece of Heat and Bond to applique the butterflies onto the background. It was a heavy weight bond, so it was difficult to do a zigzag stitch around each butterfly. My needle kept getting gummed up and I broke a few. I will definitely not use that stuff in the future!






I had some of the front fabric left over, so I put it on the back. This will go to our Guild in the fall. Hopefully someone with a sense of humour and colour blindness will enjoy it.







It has been raining all day today. My peonies were heavy with raindrops. Nasty weather! The beautiful blooms were flat on the ground. I waited all year for these things to open up and bloom and then the rain came and just knocked them over. Can't have that! I went out and cut them and brought them inside. Now their heady perfume is almost making me nauseous! But I'm tough, I can handle it!


10 comments:

Pat said...

LOVE your peonies. We have had several very heavy downpours here today, too. As for Heat and Bond, if you use Heat & Bond LITE, you won't get your needle gummed up or broken. The heavyweight heat and bond is bad for doing that...but not the lite one. I like your bright quilt and I'm sure many others will, too.

Barb said...

Totally love that quilt...it is wonderful and if you have been to my blog, and I know you have, you know that I love bright colors, it is hard to tone myself down at times.

Opal said...

i'm in love with those butterflies! well done, hetty! :D

*karendianne. said...

Wow, check out those peonies. Oh my gosh I've never imagined they could be so lovely in a vase.

Psychedelic Butterflies is fantastic. Impressive how you can just make up stuff to work like this. You're own design for that fabric. I love it!!!

What have you done with Oscar & Felix? ...or are they "busy?"

quiltmom anna said...

Hetty,
I think your butterfly quilt is absolutely terrific- the butterfly work out to balance the colors of the squares. It works beautifully together- A very fun quilt- Like some of your other commenters, I love color too.
Your peonies are so pretty- I never think of them as being fragrant but I haven't brought them inside so perhaps I would feel different about them inside the house.
Have a great week.
Regards,
Anna

LizzieJane said...

Those butterflies are just wonderful. We haven't had many butterflies in our garden so far this year so it's nice to be able to see yours on that wonderful quilt.
Your peonies are just beautiful, for some strange reason I don't have peonies in my garden, I will have to do something about that.
x

Reddirt Woman said...

I just had a flashback to the Sixties... without any hallucinogenic drugs... (which I was too scared to ever try). But you know that quilt would keep a baby that's not quite crawling busy checking out the different colors for hours on end.

Great job.

Helen

The Calico Cat said...

Wow, that really is a bright quilt! :o)

Vicki said...

Now that's a nice and cheerful quilt and it's sure to brighten someone's day. I love peonies and had some from a friend's garden this year as well. I know what you mean about the perfume being rather strong once they are indoors.

Rinie said...

You made me go outside in the pouring rain to cut my last wet peonies. They are sitting here now, droopy and smelly. It's wonderful!