Monday, July 06, 2009

Just Doing it for Fun

After posting my not-so-lined-up block-of-the-week yesterday, I received a few comments about how nice my block looked and how I should allow myself to be less perfect. When I read these comments, I realized that I am being kind of anal about matching seams and pointy points and turning out a perfect block!

By coincidence, (Do you believe in coincidence? I do!) I read this morning's meditation for women. I receive one of these inspirational messages in my email inbox every morning. These messages are always positive and although they sometimes don't mean a lot to me, I can usually get something out of each one. This morning the topic was about making mistakes. How timely! It got me thinking.

The message talked about the fear of making mistakes. Everyone seems to have this fear. It can hold us back from doing many exciting and fun things. Too many joys may go undiscovered if we don't try because of fear of failure. I wholeheartedly agree with this. But it is not just about staying on the safe path in life and not venturing into the unknown, it applies to quilting too.

How many times have I decided not to make a block or quilt because I feared that it wouldn't be perfect? Too many, I'm afraid. I think my decision to join the Friday Block Party was to learn to make mistakes and try more difficult blocks that I would otherwise never have considered doing. So I want to thank everyone who left me a comment yesterday. Your comments made me think. (which is a good thing!) From now on I have decided to journey into the world of difficult blocks and just enjoy the trip - mistakes and all.
"Meow! Hey Felix. Listen! I have a secret to tell you. Psst! Meow! Purr! Psst! Nice blocks to play on! Meow!"

13 comments:

Donna said...

perspective can be a good thing :-)

Pat said...

YAY for you. Did you know that the Amish quilt makers put a mistake in their quilts ON PURPOSE? They do this as they believe only God is perfect.....humans aren't.....so they make certain each quilt has at least one mistake.

Reddirt Woman said...

It will make your life easier, once you really do decide it's all about the learning and growing. I'm one to talk, however, there were a lots of things in my life that I didn't try out of fear of failure. I'm working on myself now, too, so I don't want you to feel alone on this journey. The older I get the easier I'm finding to try things I've wanted to try and haven't yet done out of fear. I get tired of carrying all the excuses...

Helen

Vicki said...

Way to go Hetty. Life is too short to worry about mistakes. I've enjoyed the FBP blocks, especially the mistakes because it is through those mistakes I have learned so much and have improved my skills. Yes they can be frustrating at times, but this is also where the magic comes from for future projects.

This year actually finished the very first quilt I started 6 years ago and it is hanging in the entrance to my apratment, mistakes and all. From a distance it looks great, and folks who come over and don't know much about quilting think it is amazing. I see all kinds of flaws in it, but it is there as a reminder to me of how far I have come and if it weren't for those mistakes, I wouldn't be doing the kind of quilting that I do today.

to re-phrase Quilt Pixie, it's all a matter of perspective.

blushing rose said...

I didn't realize Amish do this to the quilts they create ...that is very informative from Pat. TTFN ~Marydon

Librarynan said...

We are all on a learning journey called "Life"... there was a car-company ad a while back that said "Life is a journey, enjoy the ride". And so be it. Cheers to you, Hetty.

The Calico Cat said...

Cute kitties - my blocks are all riddled with mistakes!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It's pretty fabric and a pretty block. I agree with you about the mistakes - that is how we learn, and mistakes are what makes the quilts more loveable - you can tell they are made by real people.

Oiyi said...

Awesome perspective! I tend to be anal too, so it's nice to take a step back and realize it's not the end of the world.

*karendianne. said...

The thing that jumped out at me is the way you engage with the learning process. I dig that about you. It is a fantastic way to build skills that you might not otherwise take on. That's the Truth!

And I agree, how timely to receive a meditation on mistakes. Cosmic reinforcement. That's a gift!

Those dern kitties, I sure love their cuteamous thoughts.

LizzieJane said...

I am afraid I am like you Hetty. At times I am very critical of the things I make. My daughter on the other hand will tackle anything. Her thinking is...if they can do it then so can I! I am trying to take a page from her book.
x

dutchcomfort said...

Better finished than perfect is a well-known phrase. I’m on the perfectionist front too. But... sometimes I have to give in and let it go. No-one will study our quilts when they are finished and give points for perfection. However, they will see when it’s made with love and joy!

OMG, this is profound...LOL!!

rinie said...

Cats are not critical.
As long as you can sit and play on any block.
They teach us a lesson.
Critique is negative and should be abolished and therewith goes fear of failure. Instead we accept positive advice.