Sunday, August 30, 2009

Building Castles in the Air and Piglets in a Square

This is my block for this week's Friday Block Party. We're at week 35 already. Can you believe that? The year is going by quickly! This is a 12in. block. I used some batiks and I think it looks okay. I followed the instructions on the quilter's cache site. When I saw this same block made by one of the other Party members, Rosa, I realized that by placing the centre outside units all in the same direction, I could make a sort of friendship star block.

I decided to make this one in a 9 inch size. I wanted to fussy cut a centre square for the middle of the block. Most of my other 9in. blocks have a fussy cut children's fabric in the centre. I turned the corner units because I thought they detracted from the friendship star look. I like this block, but now I think I have made up a whole new block. And look what happened to my little piggy in the centre! When I sewed the corner triangles on, I cut off one of his ears!

Can't have that! I quickly needle turned another tiny ear onto the block. Now he looks better! I think my piglet is happy in the centre of his new block!







7 comments:

Pat said...

LOVE your "rescued" piggy with two ears!!! The batik block above that looks really nice, too.

Reddirt Woman said...

You are so creative. That's just one of the reasons I enjoy coming to visit your place. Both of those blocks are pretty but the little pig and getting his ear back is wonderful.

Helen

Barb said...

I really really like that first block....I just might have to go and make it...hummmm have to make time....hummmmm we will see...

*karendianne. said...

You are so clever!

A friend, well my mentor, told me part of the measure of a good quilter really has to do with the ability to fudge and fiddle and fix things. She likes to say that a lot of us can piece a block but can we work it out when we make an error or better yet, can we work it into the quilt? I like that perspective.

Anyway, I really like how you did this. You had some fun here and some adventurous learning. I had fun here actually!!! Nothing new though. Always fun here at C and S.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is an adorable block, and what a lovely fix! It looks better than it would have if you had done it "right."

dutchcomfort said...

Love the piggy block!! Times flies indeed!

Oiyi said...

The batik fabric really is stunning in that square.