Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Couple of Flimsies

I know I haven't posted much lately. I've been busy, but have had nothing to show for it. Now I have finished a couple of flimsies. The first one is the watermelon 'picnic' quilt I was making for my DD. Still not completely sure if I like the idea of putting it on the ground and spilling food on it. I like how it turned out and I think I might just quilt it and use it as a fun summer quilt. But quilting it is the opportune word here. I still have to sandwich it first and that is the hard part for me. Hopefully DD will help me.

Then there is the red and white quilt I have been working on the past few weeks. It is based on the blue and white lap quilt I made for my mother. You can see it here. I also have a tutorial for it on my other blog. This top measures 36in. X 48in. I think I might make it a bit bigger. Sort of like a sofa quilt to cuddle under while watching television - in the winter when the weather is raging outside. I think the red and white would make a nice Christmas quilt. Maybe I'll just do a few more blocks or maybe I'll put a border around it. I haven't decided yet. And then, of course, there is the sandwiching and quilting. Hope DD helps me with this one also!




9 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Oh Hetty! Lovely flimsies you have to show. It was worth the wait. Well, I was missing you. :)

You're cute about putting the watermelon 'picnic' quilt on the ground. Seeing it ~ I think I would feel the same way. But I reckon if I had children, maybe...?

Oh and Hetty do I ever love your red and white quilt. I'm sure whatever you decide to do here will be perfect. It's a great pattern.

Red and White and Hugs all over, *karendianne.

Barb said...

Oh........I truly love both quilts. I think Red goes great in any quilt. I will have to check out your tutorial.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the watermelon quilt. Maybe if DD helps to sandwich it she will realize how much time goes into making a quilt and then she won't put it on the ground.

Reddirt Woman said...

The watermelon quilt is wonderful. I won't even make a comment about it being put on the ground.

And I thought your mom's quilt was gorgeous in the blue, but the red and white... shazaam!!!

Helen

Reddirt Woman said...

Oh, I meant to ask... why do you call them flimsies? Forgive my ignorance but I'm trying to learn.

Helen

Pat said...

I know I wouldn't want that great watermelon quilt to be put on the ground! Your red and white quilt is terrific, too. I recall how nice that blue and white one was that you made for your mom.

Anonymous said...

Looooove the watermelon quilt.

em's scrapbag said...

Lovely flimsies. I really like the watermelon quilt.

Latane Barton said...

Hetty, I can't believe how gorgeous those quilts turned out!! Well, I should have know you'd do it.

I wouldn't want to put the quilt on the ground either. Too pretty for that.