Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Carfree, Equinox, Victory Kind of Day!

Today marks the Autumnal Equinox, or September Equinox. Fall arrives at 5:18pm, our time this afternoon. It has been sort of rainy and humid today. It looks like fall, but it is still warm, like summer. Don't get me wrong. I love fall, but this year our summer was a little to cold and wet for my liking. Hopefully we will have some lovely fall weather to enjoy the changing leaves. I am not ready to give up on the outdoors yet!


It is also Worldwide Carfree Day today! Everyone was asked to leave their cars at home and walk, take public transit or bike to work (or play) today. This is only a one-day thing, but it is hoped that people will continue to leave their cars at home, thus reducing our carbon footprint on the earth. A carbon footprint is a measure of the impact we have on our environment. It relates to the amount of greenhouse gases we produce in our day-to-day lives by burning fossil fuels for heat, transportation and electricity. I am curious to know if other people celebrated this day in other parts of our wonderful world.

And in the hopes that we can reduce our carbon footprints on our planet, let me show you my Victory block from this week's Block Party. It is called, "Nelson's Victory". Nelson being Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson and Victory being the HMS Victory, a flagship of the Royal Navy.

It is a 12-inch block. Easy and quick! I might do another one in a 9-inch size using a fun fabric in the corners. But that remains to be seen. I am sort of busy at the moment and the atmospheric changes have left me exhausted. Think I will go and take a nap now.

No comments: