Thursday, October 08, 2009

Finished!

I finished another charity quilt. (Hurray!) I got the fabric for this little quilt in a kit from our Guild. The kit included 30 8.5in. squares, some backing fabric, batting and some binding fabric. This was the only kit there was. (sigh) I didn't want to make a quilt with huge square blocks, (too boring!) so I cut the squares down to 4.25in. Then proceeded to put them together in a disappearing nine patch pattern. Also, there was some damage to the backing fabric. I had to cut that part out. I used it for the centre squares of the nine patches.


This fabric was really pretty, but not really me. I thought it needed the darker fabric on the front for a bit of contrast. It measures 38in. by 43in. and will go to 'Quilts from the Heart at our Guild' and will probably be donated to a Women's Shelter.





Because I had cut out the damaged parts of the backing fabric and used some of it on the front, I did not have enough for the back of the quilt. So I pieced a few of the left over 4.25in. units from the front, plus a few more from fabrics in my stash, and sewed them into the backing to make it big enough.

I enjoyed making this quilt. I love the Disappearing Nine-Patch! It was easy, with just enough of a challenge to make everything fit. And as you can see, Mimi loves it too!

"Meow! Just passing through. You want your quilt inspected, don't you?"

"Yeah! Sure! Thanks Mimi."




5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think the darker fabric is a good addition to the top. the back is more interesting that way too, but more work.

dutchcomfort said...

You’ve made it to blogtoberfest day 8!!! Hurray!

Love your disap. 9-patch and you’re right for adding some darker fabrics to the front.

Lis Harwood said...

I think your colour combinations are great, Lis

*karendianne. said...

Well this is adorable and I love how you worked with what you had on hand. You're talented enough to do stuff like that. Me? I just get frustrated and give up and walk away. But not even Mimi will do that. She's such a good inspector. I love her little kitty-self! :)

Rinie said...

Sweet Mimi. What would she do if there would be no more quilts to be inspected. Keep it up making your beautiful designs.