Friday, December 18, 2009

The Spirit of Christmas

If you came for SkyWatch Friday, please scroll down to the next post.

Today I want to share some of my Christmas decorations with you. My tree is completely decorated in homemade ornaments this year. I did include a few very special ornaments which were given to me over the years and hold a lot of sentiment for me. The rest have all been made by me over the years.
This first one is part of my Folk Art Bear collection. I cut the shapes out on my scrollsaw, then my DD and I painted them with acrylics. I have given many away, but luckily I still have some. Maybe one day when the time is right, I will make some more.





The next two are part of my Stained Glass collection. A few years back, I made these little angels in all shapes and sizes. I also made several other shapes, like trees and candles, but I have given them all away.
The little bear was bought in a craft shop, but his little sweater is made out of no.10 crochet cotton.



Here is another stained glass angel. I think she was the first one I ever made. Also in this shot is another folk art bear in his pajamas.



Sorry, the lighting was very bad today. I have all of my lights on because it is so dreary outside. This snowflake should be a very bright white, but I was experimenting with and without the flash. This one is without and it looks kind of pink. I made literally hundreds of these little snowflakes. They make a nice carry-along craft. They fit into a purse and can be worked on any time waiting is involved.




This is an Amigurumi Santa that I made when I was stuck in a chair and couldn't walk. I had lots of time that year. These Santas are very labour intensive! Beside Santa is a little stitchery that I made many years ago. It is also part of a collection of cross stitch ornaments. I really enjoyed making them.



Another snowflake, with better lighting, a tiny crocheted angel and a patchwork star. I drew up the pattern for this one, but I have misplaced it. I want to make a few more of these. I guess I will have to get my drafting board out again. If I did it once, I can certainly do it again.
The little pewter ornament is one of my sentimental ones.


And here is a little basket with cinnamon sticks and lace. The kit for this was offered at a local craft shop in the late 1990's. That shop has since closed, but I still have the little bear in the basket!






He who has not Christmas in his heart,
will not find it under a tree.
- Roy L. Smith

6 comments:

Pat said...

Oh, Hetty....you are so very talented. Your painting of those bears is outstanding...and all the other homemade ones are gorgeous, too. I'm so happy you showed us these and maybe you can show us more of them in subsequent posts? I never tire of seeing those kinds of things.

the dutch purple rabbit said...

o i realy love those angels.
nynke

Barb said...

Need your address....and I thought I had commented on this post....I love your decorations...hope this isn't a repeat....if so, sorry!!! Have a wonerful Christmas.!!!

dutchcomfort said...

I love your home-made Christmas tree ornaments. The stained glass angels are really beautiful!

Merry Christmas Hetty!

Opal said...

all your ornaments are so special, but those crocheted snowflakes really take me back. i made over a hundred of them myself a long time ago. i think that's what burnt me out on crochet. *L*

Unknown said...

Your ornaments are all really sharp. Christmas trees are always nicer when the decorations are handmade and each one is unique.