Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Nature Walk

I was invited to join my daughter's grade 4 science class for a nature outing in one of our local ravines yesterday afternoon. What a great time I had! The weather was perfect! And the kids were wonderful!
(Oh, look! It's a red-winged blackbird!)

They were polite and respectful of the flora and fauna they came in contact with. We saw frogs and snakes, snails and spiders, birds and bugs, woodland flowers and blossoming trees. They each had a little box with a magnifying glass top. If they were able to catch an insect, they could put it inside the box and look at it more closely. I was pleased to see how gentle they were. All the insects and spiders were set free before we left.

(Hmmm. I wonder. Is this an igneous or sedimentary rock.)

Everyone was exhausted, but happy by the end of the walk. We arrived back at school just as the dismissal bell was ringing.

(Doing a head count. Good! We didn't lose anyone!)

2 comments:

LizzieJane said...

What a wonderful day Hetty. The children and you must have had so much fun. How nice that they were so gentle with the little creatures that they caught. It is such a wonderful learning experience.
x

em's scrapbag said...

What a fun outing. I did a simular one last year with my DD.