Thursday, October 28, 2010

I'm Seeing Stars!

Day 28 of Blogtoberfest and I got nuttin'. Well not much anyway.

I joined a Row Robin a few months back. My row is supposed to be done and shipped to the next person by the end of this month. I am not going to make it. Procrastination! I should have started it earlier, but never really had the desire until this morning.

This row is supposed to be a row of stars - in bright colours. I had this star block done last year with the Friday Block Party. It's called 'Hope of Hartford'. I really like it. And no one had done one of these yet. It seemed like the perfect block. The only problem was, it's a 10in. block and the block for this row should be 9 inches

So I got out my graph paper and designed a 9in. block. Sounds easy, doesn't it? But I guess I measured wrong because the first block I made came out 1/4in. too small. That's the yellow one on the left.
Back to the drawing board!

I made another block, but it was the same. I don't know how I got it wrong twice, but I did. Not even going to show you a photo of that one. I went back to the drawing board and tried again. And I finally got it right! It's the pink one on the right.


So now I have to make 5 more blocks.
Note to self - measure twice, cut once.
I hate unsewing!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Silly me I deleted the previous comment.... I need to borrow your note to myself: Read before, don't click too fast! Apologies for my mistake.

It is a lovely block and very bright colours.
Gina

Pat said...

But your row will look SO pretty when it's finished, so it will be worth the trouble!

Crunchy Diva said...

what pretty blocks. your robin sounds like loads of fun.

Barb said...

Oh...those squares are so wonderful, sorry it is not coming out right.

Vicki said...

Been there, done that, and boy is it frustrating. When I modify things I have started to measure 3 and 4 times before cutting because I'm afraid I will screw it up LOL.

Great job on the star block and the row will look fantastic.

Simone de Klerk said...

The blocks are so pretty, Hetty. Great color combinations!
Sometimes I don't understand why I can make a mistake over and over again. And no rest till it's fixed!