Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Another Flowery Wednesday

I made a few more flowers this week.  It is really too hot to do anything else.  Now have to make dozens of white hexies which will go in between the flowers.  It's a boring job, but someone has to do it.



Last spring I bought a bag of three liliy bulbs and planted them in my raised flower bed.  By the next morning the squirrels had promptly dug them up, along with a dozen anemones I had also planted.  The anemone corms were gone, so I assumed the squirrels had found them to be a tasty treat.  I replanted the lilies and covered them with cayenne pepper.  A few days later the squirrels had dug them up again.  I replanted them and put some pieces of a broken clay pot over top of them.  And of course, lots more cayenne pepper.  When they started to come up I removed the clay pot pieces and they started to grow.  Now they look like this.


I am glad I didn't lose patience.  I'd be missing these beauties.



4 comments:

Terry said...

Your lilies are beautiful! I've heard to plant your bulbs underneath some chicken wire or hardware cloth. The bulbs can grow up through, but the squirrels won't be able to dig them up.

Simone de Klerk said...

Absolute beautie, all your flowers!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

the lilies are beautiful. I don't have any exoctic ones but I would probably have the same problem with the squirrels.

Wacky Woman said...

So I suppose I should let Trudy to have at the squirrels then. Lovely.