Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Wednesday Flower or Two

I want to express my deep-felt thanks to all who left a comment on my Oscar post.  Your kind words, cyber hugs and positive thoughts helped me through this past week.  But now I realize that I have to get on with my life.  Quilting waits for no one.  My scraps are calling me and all of my UFOs want me to pick one and get going on it.   But instead I decided to do, what is for me, a mindless activity - making flowers.  They are all I could manage.   Here are my first two.

I think I will do a flower basket hexagon quilt.  I may not finish this one soon, but I just need something to get me going.  Usually I work on some scraps, but it is too hot in my solarium and sewing room, So these will have to do.

We are having a couple of cool days, but by tomorrow the humidity will be back and the temperatures will go up into the 30C range again.

I have to water my garden every day.  We have had very little rain lately.  It would sound like my garden is turning brown, but with the water I have been pouring on it, my garden is actually entirely pink.  That is due to the coneflowers and phlox.  Photos to follow.  Here is a shot I took this morning in the west raised bed.  The coneflowers had Red Admiral Butterflies all over them, but they were busy drinking the nectar and didn't want to open their wings for me.  I did manage to get this pic.


Now I am going to have lunch.  Yesterday my DD came over and made a delicious salad, with mangoes, avocado, sunflower seeds, mixed greens, tomatoes, red and green peppers and some basil from my back yard.  She sprinkled cheese over the top.  It was delicious!  Today I am going to have to make my own lunch.  Think I'll probably have a peanut butter sandwich.

5 comments:

Wacky Woman said...

Beautiful garden Hetty. Enjoy your BP&J.

Simone de Klerk said...

Love to see your flowers grow again (o:

KaHolly said...

Lovely shot of the Coneflower and the Red Admiral!! They came out in big numbers this year! Have fun making your hexie flowers. They are my 'to go' project, and I have a box ready to take anytime we go on a road trip. Here, any place we drive to is a road trip!! So, I get lots of them finished. ~karen

em's scrapbag said...

Your garden is lovely. I see you have a little tobacco crop. That's what my dad says when I grow nicatina.

Jossie said...

So sorry to read about Oscar. My thoughts are with you.
I have done some catching up on your blog. Seems ages since my last visit. My laptop crashes several times a day and it takes me hours to get it started again. So I have not been much in blogland recently. Amazing how much you can do without internet.
Love the photo in your header. Amazing!