Wednesday, August 21, 2013

What Day is it?

OMG!  I haven't posted anything in over a week.  Today is supposed to be Wildflower Wednesday, but just like last Wednesday, I have nothing to show you.  Oh, sure, I have lots of pics, but I just can't write a whole post on any one of them.  I have been walking a lot lately and about four weeks ago I fell in the backyard.  At first my left knee was what hurt me.  It is black and blue for three weeks.  The bruising is almost gone now, but my right leg is giving me a lot of trouble.  I think I injured it when I fell and didn't realize how bad it was.  I am taking it easy now, with lots of hand work and reading and ice tea drinking.  I'm feeling better already!

So today I will show you some of the hexie flowers I have been working on this week.  I tried to do a quilt like Grit's "La Passion" quilt, but I think it will be too time-consuming.  Here is my first little flower made with half inch hexies.  You can see the size better in the next photo.


It is very tiny - much too small for my hands.  So I increased the size of the hexies and started to make Grit's pattern using the bigger ones.  These are 3/4 of an inch, but I think they will be too big.  You can see them on the right.  So I downsized again and made my hexies about .6 of an inch.  You can see them on the left. This is a good size for me.  But I don't know if I will make this pattern.  I still have a lot of navy blue hexies to make in order to finish my basket quilt.  And I think I should be doing those before I start anything else.


I will leave you with a couple of photos of my garden as it looks at the moment.  When I went out this morning the whole yard was full of female goldfinches.  They were everywhere, on my coneflowers, sunflowers, phlox and of course, my thistle sock.  These little birds and such a delight.  I love to sit and watch them flit around, chirping and arguing at the feeder.


I also have some nice veggies in my garden.  My tomatoes are doing well and so are my beans.  I planted them a bit late, but they are now supplying us with more beans than we can eat.  I also have cucumbers, which I think I will turn into refrigerator pickles later today.


And here is one last photo of a beautiful sunflower that volunteered itself.  I just love this one!  The birds do too.







8 comments:

Mary K said...

Love your garden. I never have the umph! To start one. I have the want, just not the umph.

Your hexies are looking good. I am still working on the ones you inspired me to start on. I can't even remember when I started them. I will have to go back and check out my past blogs to find out. I have 52 flowers made so far.

Take care of yourself and rest up your knees.

KaHolly said...

Oh, Hetty, how prettily photographed! It was as much fun as all the stops on the hexie blog hop, going on now! It's my first time ever participating and I'm really enjoying it!! Thanks for sharing your garden!

Terry said...

Your sunflower is just beautiful! :0)

Monica said...

It all looks beautiful! I am sorry about your injury. I often find that the good leg gets sore because I am trying to compensate for the bad leg. I hope they both feel better soon!

Unknown said...

Your hexie flower is almost as pretty as the real ones......I love flowers! Hope your knee feels better soon!

Grit said...

Your "La Passion" start looks wonderful. I`m happy you start with it.
Greetings Grit

Wacky Woman said...

Those falls can be nasty. I know all about them. I love ALL your flowers.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR SUNFLOWER AND ALL YOUR HEXIES.
FALLING IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD NOT DO.
SOMETIMES A LEG TAKES A LONG TIME TO HEAL
AFTER YOU FALL ON IT. I KNOW THAT TOO.
I HOPE YOU WILL FEEL BETTER VERY SOON.
TAKE CARE NOW.

MAKKE.